FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 26, 2021
Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Agribusiness Committee Awards Annual Ag Scholarships
The Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce Agribusiness Committee announces the award of $5,250 in Ag Scholarships to eight local students. Over the past twenty-eight years, more than $170,000 has been contributed by the local business community to be awarded as scholarships to students pursuing degrees in Agribusiness at Idaho Colleges and Universities.
Scholarship recipients are:
• Alyssa Hansten, a graduate of Jerome High School currently a sophomore studying Biological Engineering at the University of Idaho.
• Tristin Loomis, a senior at Castleford High School who plans to attend either the University of Idaho or College of Southern Idaho this fall studying Agricultural Systems Management.
• Hadley Kimball, a graduate of Jerome High School and the College of Southern Idaho currently a senior studying Animal and Veterinary Science at the University of Idaho.
• Daniel Salas, currently a student at the College of Southern Idaho with plans to continue his education at the University of Idaho studying Animal Science.
• Ryan Nelson, a senior at Hagerman High School who will continue his education at the University of Idaho studying Rangeland Conservation.
• Kinley Whitmarsh, a senior at Hagerman High School who plans to attend the University of Idaho majoring in Animal and Veterinary Science.
• Melissa Hardy, a senior at Oakley High School who will attend the College of Southern Idaho this fall studying Animal Science.
• Avelardo Vargas, a sophomore at the University of Idaho pursuing a major in Animal and Veterinary Science – Dairy Science.
Members of the Agribusiness Committee accepted applications from students which included an essay on the topic “What is the long-term effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on agriculture?” The topic generated interesting and informative discussions about potential impacts to agriculture and also to the applicants’ individual educational pathways and lives.
The Chamber’s Agribusiness Committee is dedicated to recognizing the significant contribution that agriculture makes to the Magic Valley and Idaho economy. Scholarships are funded by individual business and organization contributions which this year include: Agropur, College of Southern Idaho Foundation, D.L. Evans Bank, Diamond W Farms, Howe & Heward PLLC, Idaho Power Company, Sliman & Butler Irrigation, and Twin Falls County Farm Bureau Federation.
The more than 750 member businesses of the Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce make up a non-profit organization providing a strong business voice, vision and focused leadership to enhance the economic vitality and quality of place in our community. For more information about the Chamber and its programs, events, and activities, call 208-733-3974.
For more information, contact Shawn Barigar, President & CEO, Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce at 208-733-3974 or email email@example.com